Albert D. Sam II, MD, MS, MMM, FACS joined The Vascular Experts this year, bringing extensive vascular and endovascular surgery experience.
Prior to joining The Vascular Experts, he served as an Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Tulane Heart & Vascular Institute in New Orleans from 2012-2016.
In addition to becoming one of the first physicians nationally to be Board-certified in general surgery, vascular surgery and endovascular medicine; he has served as a Principal Investigator for numerous national and international vascular clinical trials including the NIH stroke trials CREST and CREST-2.
He served from 2013-2015 as Tulane’s Board Chair of the Gulf South Quality Network – a clinically integrated physician network comprising nine-member hospitals and 1,600 physicians in Louisiana, overseeing processes to improve quality and safety.
Dr. Sam has received numerous awards including a selection by the Baton Rouge Business Report as a 2006 “40 under 40” award recipient. He is a graduate of the Baton Rouge Area Chamber leadership program and served on the Board of Directors for the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, a top-20 ranked community foundation with assets valuated at over $600 million.
- MidState Hospital
- Middlesex Hospital
- Medical Education – Tulane University, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Medical Education – University of Illinois at Chicago, Graduate College
- Medical Education – Duke University School of Medicine
- Residency – University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago: General Surgery
- Undergraduate – Morehouse College
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine – Clinical Vascular and Endovascular Fellowship
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine – Cellular and Molecular Biology Vascular Research Fellowship
- University of Illinois at Chicago – Cardiovascular Physiology
- Tulane Heart & Vascular Institute – Associate Professor and Chief, Vascular Surgery
- Baton Rouge General Hospital – Chief, Vascular Surgery and Coordinator
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago – Lecturer: Human Physiology
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago – Instructor: Canine Physiology Laboratory
- Recertification in Vascular Surgery
- American Board of Vascular Medicine
- Certificate of Special Qualifications, Vascular Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- National Institute of Health RO-1 Supplemental Research Award
- Eleanor B. Pillsbury Research Fellowship Award
- Distinction for Excellence in Patient Care, Christ Hospital, Oaklawn, IL
- American College of Surgeons
- Southern Association of Vascular Surgeons
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- Society of Black Academic Surgeons